Wednesday, August 24, 2011

People and Parting

People! Ok, I know I have totally slacked on my blog. Dang. Remember how I said I didn't want this blog to become one of those things that I keep up for a while, then totally forget? Well it happened anyway. And I feel like that is the real shame here. The fact that I practically warned myself that I was going to neglect my writing, and then I actually did neglect it. Anyway....
In case you didn't know, I'm in Utah. And I'm LOVING IT! I can get out of the shower in the morning and actually dry off. That didn't happen very often in Florida.  This next week should be exciting- the first week back to college! Hopefully then I'll have some more exciting things to write about. Not that nothing exciting has happened in the last two weeks. Because believe me... it has. But I feel just slightly overwhelmed trying to write everything down. In the words of my old Book of Mormon professor (who actually is quoting someone else, but I have no idea who. And who also has a voice that sounds like Piglet's from Winnie the Pooh): "There is too much.... let me sum up."
Beginning of the Summary: My parents came to pick me up from Florida the week of August 12th. My older sister also came with them. We had a ton of fun, but also got exhausted from all the walking and the Florida heat/humidity. We hit all of the parks (some of them multiple times), and even got to go to my home for the past 3 months, Blizzard Beach. It was so great to show them everything, and they absolutely LOVED Toy Story Mania (I am happy to say that I got the high score both times we went). While I practically drooled over Fantasmic, their favorite firework show was Magic Kingdom's, and- let's be honest- who can blame them?
Middle of the Summary: We flew home Saturday, which, in itself, is a story. The kid sitting next to me threw up.... twice. I didn't sleep the entire plane ride because I was so anxious that he was going to lose his lunch on me.  I about died. Needless to say, it wasn't the most enjoyable flying experience. The flight from Phoenix to Salt Lake went a lot smoother- no puking children.
End of summary: I'm now just hanging out here in Sandy until I move into my apartment on Friday. I've gone through my old clothes (about three garbage bags full) and I'm all packed up, and ready to go (aside from the fact that I haven't paid tuition yet or purchased any of my books.... yikes!). I've had some time to hang out with my roommates, and we even went to the Zoo! It was awesome, and the guy at the gate let us in for half price. Score! I also had the chance to make homemade cupcakes. Yup, homemade.... from scratch... without a cake mix. They turned out fabulous (if I do say so myself), and when my family tasted them, I made them use a fork just like the judges on Cupcake Wars.
Well, as they say wherever they say it, "Parting is such sweet sorrow." I'm hoping that this next week I'll have some experiences that will make my creative juices start flowing again. Until then you'll just have to grin and bear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment