Monday, May 2, 2011

Church, Chatham Square, and Chilly Places

Well the good news is I think I'm going to like the place I work. The bad news is apparently my problem with the "love bugs" is going to get worse. I went to my first day of training and one of my fellow cast members informed me that in June the bug population almost doubles. Great! Luckily I'm going to be working inside, so I'm hoping my nerve for these insects won't be tested. On Saturday I had planned to spend my entire afternoon at the pool, but I got there, was attacked by bugs, and decided I don't love swimming THAT much. My approximate pool side time was 30 minutes. I guess I will just have to save my aquatic passion for after the sun goes down.
So I'm living in a quaint little community named Chatham Square. You pronounce it like chat-ham. No "th" sound. When I first found out I'd be living here, I thought you said it with the "th" sound, and I thought it was so cool because it sounded like "Gotham"-Batman's city. Unfortunately, that isn't the case. But Chatham is still great nonetheless. I live in a two bedroom apartment, which means there are four girls total. To be honest I was really happy because after my first year at BYU and only living with two other roommates, I think going to five roommates might've killed me. I've posted some pictures of the apartment on here so you can see where I'm living. It is really nice. Also! Today I successfully completed my first load of laundry at a laundromat! Yay!
There is a great system of transportation here. The buses are fantastic! Not. It's nice that they provide them, but it also makes getting to places- like church- a little tricky. Speaking of church... I was having some serious anxiety (sorry mom and dad) about how I was going to get to church, and where I was supposed to go. I looked up on the church website what ward I was in and called that bishop, who directed me to a different bishop, and when I called him his sweet wife answered. She gave me all the info on where to meet for a ride to the church building and the later meeting time for college program members. It was an answer to my prayers! Thank you Sister Mills!
I mentioned earlier that I had my first day of training. Like I said, I'm working at Blizzard Beach in the Beach Haus selling merchandise. The story of Blizzard Beach goes like this: One summer in Florida, a freak snowstorm hit, leaving inches of snow in the center of Florida. Imagineers came up with a plan to utilize the snow and build a ski resort. Unfortunately, after the resort was built, the snow began to melt and run down the mountain, causing it to become quite slick. The imagineers were down-hearted and were about to abandon the project when they heard a yell from the top of the mountain. They looked up only to see and alligator (known as Ice Gator) sliding down the mountain. They then got the idea to turn this old ski resort into a waterpark that had both summer and winter elements. And there you have it. Blizzard Beach! The detail work that went into the park is incredible. And, living up to the Disney reputation, every morning one family gets chosen from the line outside to be "Ski Captains" for the day. This means they get to come in early and "open" the park by being the first guests that go down Summit Plummet- a 120 ft body waterslide! Another exciting things is that I got my costume! Hawaiian shirt and Puffy Shorts! Hahaha.... At least I'm not the only person wearing it.
This next week is just going to be full of training for me (except I actually get my birthday off!). And I really am starting to love it down here. The Disney Company is taking such great care of me. I don't think I've ever had a job where the employees -excuse me- CASTMEMBERS are so nice.
One last thing I wanted to mention has to do with church yesterday. Because it was Fast Sunday the 2nd Counselor of our ward bore his testimony during our short meeting. God was truly speaking to me through him. Everything he said I had been worrying about and stressing over. I felt so much comfort from the words he spoke and the love I felt. Heavenly Father answers prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment