Friday, May 27, 2011

Home, Holidays, and Handling Heavy Machinery

I have a piece of graham cracker stuck between my F4 and F5 keys. It is REALLY starting to annoy me. Before I started typing this, I spent a good amount of time shaking my laptop upside down and trying to blow it out. Didn't work. I can still see it taunting me as I'm trying to think what to write about that starts with the letter "H". Also, my toilet just flushed by itself... kinda freaks me out.
I talked to my parents this week about when I am flying home for Kim's wedding. We talked on Tuesday night, and let's just say all of Wednesday I was a little homesick. Ok maybe more than a little... for crying out the window, I got really excited for Christmas after a guest came in that had a cinnamon aftershave or something. I'm pretty sure it wasn't really Christmas I was excited for, but the fact that at Christmas time I will be at BYU with my roommates, and all will be right in the world once more.
I'm not homesick ALL of the time. Just after my mom sends me pictures of my dog. Or after my roommates and I talk about Peanut Butter Bars. Or when I see my sister's bridal pictures. In fact, today marks my one month anniversary of being here! It's crazy how fast the time has gone. Weeks are just flying by. Work makes it go by fast, and luckily I am having a lot of fun with it. I love the people I work with, and even the work that I do.
We have a task called "Towel Run" at work. It is surprisingly exhausting. You have to bring empty carts to all of the towel bins throughout the park, and replace the full bins with empty ones. When you bring a full cart backstage, you have to empty it into a metro by means of this complex machine that you have to be 18  years or older to run. The machine basically grabs the cart, lifts it up then tilts it so that it empties into the metro. Then you have to use the long metal shepard's hook to grab the rest of the towels and pull them into the metro as well.  I usually have to work the machine about three times per towel run,  because some of the bins don't get used as much as others and you can just transfer the towels into a partially full bin instead of replacing the bin completely (I know this is SO exciting... but pay attention). Anyway... I did this job two days in a row. And I felt totally exhilarated. Yes, I was exhausted afterwards. Yes, I felt like the guests thought of me as a slave. Yes, I ended up completely drenched with sweat. But it felt soooo good to do physical labor and know I was getting paid for it. Not to mention I felt really cool when I got to work the Crank.
One thing I love about work is all of the British/English guests that visit. They come here on "Holiday" and truly treat it like one. They are so nice! I love helping them. After every single thing you say, they respond with gratitude. Whether it be "Thanks", "Thank You", or "Cheers", they say it after EVERY sentence. You could tell them their total was $400.12 and they would say "That's just lovely, thanks!". And they are totally sincere about it! No sarcasm whatsoever! Love it. Love them. And they have the cutest little kids that are always named Henry or something. So adorable. It's funny because after I've helped a British family, I'm always on such a high afterwards, and when another family comes up that's not British, it's just... bleh. Not bad, but not particularly fulfilling either. I'm just so glad that the English love waterparks.
I'm starting to get into a routine here, so I'm sorry that nothing I'm writing is super exciting. I literally had to sit down and thing about things that might be remotely interesting to you. I'll try to have a more exciting life from now on. One thing that is cool is how many times my religion has come up with guests and even friends at work. "Are you Mormon?". You better believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment