Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fame, Freak Accidents, and Friday the 13th

Friday the 13th lived up to its reputation for me this week.... only it came a day late. Today is Saturday (the day after Friday), and I just got back from one crazy day at work. Everything started out normal -aside from me seeing like 10 new cast members I never knew existed- but then later in the day, things started getting a little hectic. Around 2 p.m., I had the assignment of stocking pins at the Shade Shack -a job I kind of dislike because you get soooo hot and start sweating from just stocking pins... not even anything super physically exerting. Anyway... The day had been a little overcast, and as I'm stocking pins I hear a lady say ".... No, it's not going to rain for awhile...." It was like that phrase was the password for the clouds to open and release every ounce of water they had ever held, because immediately after that (I'm talking seconds here!), it started pouring. And it's a funny thing too, because even though these guests are at a WATERpark, where they run around in their too-tight swimsuits all day and get wet, they all scramble (like the ship is going down) to get under the nearest shelter when it starts raining. And you guessed it- the nearest shelter for people today was the Shade Shack. So I'm stuck in this hut with like 25 people who aren't fully clothed... hmmm.
 But that's just the beginning! I actually had to go home an hour early because of the rain, which I thought was great considering I was soaked and freezing. So I got off at 4 and had to wait a bit for the next bus. On the way home, all of a sudden the bus starts going really slow and then just stops on the side of the road. Everybody is kinda looking around, wondering what the heck is going on (only some people don't say heck). The bus driver tries to start the bus and .... nothing. Then he tries again. And again. So we're stuck on the side of the road, in the pouring rain, and I'm just waiting for either a serial killer or Sasquatch to come out of the bushes and kill us all. Luckily that didn't happen, and now -an hour and a half later- I'm dry and toasty in my apartment, writing this blog for you all to read.
So that covers Freak Accidents and my Friday the 13th experience. On to Fame! On Friday I went to clock in backstage (a fancy term used for the back of the store where only employees go), and as I was walking out to start work, I see my picture on the Service Basics poster hung on the door! The Service Basics are just like rules that Disney has to make sure we give great customer service. One of the Basics is "I project a positive attitude and energy", and under it was the picture of me helping a guest. I felt so cool! Then later, my manager tells me that I was one of the top three sellers this week.... and I'd only been working a week! I felt even better! And to top it all off, my manager gave me a Service Basics card after she saw me help a guest, and I had to go drop it into a little black box thing, and I think they have a drawing or something out of it! Yes! Sorry that was all bragging, but it made me so happy.
So as it turns out, my Friday the 13th was actually fantastic. That same day, I was feeling kinda crummy at the start of work because of the night before, but then some guests came in that were from Utah. They saw my name tag and were like "Hey! We're from Utah! Look at his BYU hat!". Haha It was a group of older people that were all kinda crazy... I could barely hold their attention because they were all over the place. And it was even more difficult because both the group and myself were so excited that we were from the same place. One thing that made me feel so great was when the "Leader Lady" (I can't think of anything else to call her) was like "I totally knew you were LDS when I saw you." That group is what started the attitude that made me feel so happy at the end of the day. Thank you, crazy old LDS group!
So that wraps up the exciting events that have taken place in my life over the last two days. Work is still great, and I'm meeting some great people too. Everyone is so nice, and for the first time in my life, I love going to work. I daresay I'd rather be at work than at home! (But hey, it's only been a week)

No comments:

Post a Comment